Wednesday 17 September 2014

Day 2: The Prestige

The Prestige | 2006 | USA UK | Christopher Nolan

7.5 / 10

"The crowning moment of a trick."



   I knew that David Bowie has a role in this film. I was afraid my judgement would be partial. It wasn't.
   Don't take me wrong, it's a good film. I even think it's great, but for sure it's not a masterpiece.
   The entrance is brilliant and catchy, with shots of several top hats strewn about in a forest just waiting for something to happen. After that we enter a world of freezing mist and handheld cameras. A world full of twists and turns that never loses it's magic. At some point I felt like having a Memento flashback flipping around in time.
   The acting is brilliant. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale were perfectly casted and their performance is suberb.  Bowie plays a science genius with a poker face. His immobile face leaves us wondering about his truly intentions.
   The film is uncomfortably engaging in the beginning and soon we realize that the real drama lays in their rivalry and not in the trick.
   If there would be any kind of meaningful message, which I believe there isn't, this would be the one: 
" what makes one better is the shared ego".



No comments:

Post a Comment