Tuesday 16 September 2014

Day 1: The Godfather

The Godfather | 1972 | USA |  Francis Ford Coppola

9.5 / 10

"I'm going to throw him an offer he can't refuse"



   I watched this film for the first time over fifteen years ago and I loved it. Today I watched it again and I loved it even more.
   The Godfather is the Francis Ford Coppola masterpiece and the ultimate organized crime film. 
   It was not only brilliant back then as its surprisingly not outdated. I would dare to say that The Godfather aged well (and I obviously did too as I appreciate it now even more).
    There are two things that blow my mind: that it was directed 42 years ago and that Coppola was only 33 years old when directed it. If this film was unknown and I had no idea when it was produced, I don't think I would ever be able to place it in time.
   This masterpiece is almost flawless and I wouldn't change a thing. It's a three hour long film in which every detail matters. Also, despite being part of a trilogy, the film stands on it's own. The Godfather ends when in a moment of tenderness he collapses in a Sicilian style tomato garden, while playing with his grandson. He dies in peace. And his death reminded me of something huge, in The Godfather crime doesn't pay! There's some kind of twisted concept of honor that kills our judgement as spectators and all we can see is a family man, with whispery voice, inaccurate movements and an intrinsic power  he almost didn't need to show.
   In The God Father, guns and baptisms, murderers and weddings, family feasts and horse heads, walk together. And that makes perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment